Today marks the 96th year of my grandmother, Fannie Biderman. I was sad to note that when googling her name, very little comes up. So in celebration of her 96th I’ll start a quick list of amazing moments I’ve had with Fannie, so we can get her on the world wide web for her birthday!
1. Cooking in the kitchen with Grandma, I was two years old and not wearing pants.
2. Dressed in red and riding in her boat.
3. Every SF house she lived in always had a fantastic view.
4. Spending the night at Fannie’s usually meant sleeping in a single bed. Real fun with a significant other! Or better yet with 4 people!
5. The Matriarch of the Biderman/Kuller family.
6. Biking through Golden Gate Park to Grandma’s house.
7. The Grey Panthers.
8. Her wardrobe inspired the White Stripes: black, white, and red.
9. Gallery hopping.
10. Museum shopping
12. More Gin
13. Listening to her “Ohhhhhhhhhhh, your really should…”
14. Riding Public Transportation, as taxis were a waste of money, even at 95!
15. Marching in Protest until she was 90ish.
16. Making Salads in the huge wooden bowl.
17. Through the park, over the hills, to grandmother’s house we go.
18. Watching Nancy and Fannie walk ahead of the Biderherd in Paris and Amsterdam, 1997.
19. Slurping down oysters at the Pacific Heights Bar and Grill.
20. Shopping for clothes in the Castro with the Bartlett sisters.
21. Our fabulous Indonesian dinner in Amsterdam
22. Museum D’Orsay in the rain.
23. Her 5:30am exercises.
24. Barhopping in Amsterdam and San Fran.
25. Seeing her blush as a handsome stranger helped put on her coat in a cafe in Amsterdam.
26. Marching in Protest until she was 90ish.
27. The Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream that always seemed to be in the freezer.
28 Chinese food at Yet Wah’s famous spinning table.
29. Fannie mixing up everyone’s names.
30. Her hands.
31. A four hour photoshoot with Noel Snow ~ the 2nd photo featured here.
32. Politics and Fannie.
33. She could eat a burrito faster than me until 5 years ago.
34. Always welcoming all my friends to SF.
35. The Grandmothers meeting again, 11 years ago.
36. Fannie’s 86th Birthday Party at Buca di Beppo.
37. And the 90th with Rochelle, Barbara, and Hans.
38. What?! I can’t hear you!
39. Shopping at Trader Joe’s.
40. Life is a Party with Fannie.
41. The many other photoshoots I put her through ~ anything for art!
42. The hand made birthday cards she would always send.
43. The hearing aid battery sculpture in her living room.
44. Letting me be her roommate when I was 29.
45. Kevin’s interview of Fannie….where is that Kev?
46. She was so cool to show off.
47. The Budweiser cardboard Holiday tree that she let me hang in her house.
48. The family and friends gatherings that we’ve had on her 12th floor.
49 Making old new again.
50. Happy Inauguration Day Fannie, I know you voted.
There’s the first 50! Please share your Fannie experience on this blog as we celebrate her Life at 96!